Last updated : 01/04/2007
This page is indexed on our home page under Aspect: 4. Information & care sheets and the Section: Health Issues
MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease)
What is MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease)?
Metabolic Bone Disease is the lack of calcium or the imbalance of it resulting in softening of the bones that will eventually lead to a death, and is caused by one or more of the following:-
- insufficient calcium in the diet
- improper ca:phos ratio in the diet
- vitamin D3 deficiency in the diet
- lack of ultraviolet light
- disease of the intestines, liver or kidneys
- over supplementing diet leads to toxicity
Carnivorous reptiles are not as prone to metabolic bone disease because they consume whole prey which provides adequate calcium.
Because iguanas are very popular and are susceptible to MBD due to their specific diet/light/environment needs, there are a large number of cases seen in iguanas.
Links to Articles
Metabolic Bone Disease - Calcium Deficiency by the Winter Park Veterinary Clinic - Link to article
Kidney Failure/ Metabolic Bone Disease/ Vitamin D Supplements by Tricia's Water Dragon.com
- Kidney Failure due to over supplementing vitamins?
- Causes of Too much phosphorus in the blood
- Metabolic Bone Disease and Diet
- What kind of supplements are you offering?
- Also are you using a vitamin that has vitamin D3 in it or Vitamin D3 drops?
- Kidney/ Renal failure: Signs and symptoms of Kidney Failure
- Link to these articles
Adobe Animal Hospital - Link to their article
Melissa Kaplan Identification and treatment of metabolic bone disease by Melissa Kaplan - Link to this article
Exoticpets A Common, Serious, and Preventable Disease in Pet Reptiles - Link to this article
Last update : 01/04/2007